Who am I?
My name is Ravi. I’m a Senior Software Engineer at Made Tech, a software consultancy that works primarily with public sector organisations across local and central government. I’m based in Cardiff, Wales.
I’m a software engineer with over five years’ experience working in the public and private sector.
While web frontend development is my main area of expertise, I have ambitions of developing a strong set of generalist skills, and I’m always hunting for experiences that take me out of my comfort zone.
To that end, I’ve conducted web accessibility assessments and prototyped the design of new digital services; developed event-driven microservices and APIs; written infrastructure as code in AWS; and set up serverless applications.
I relish every opportunity I get to solve new problems with an eye for providing that which meets user needs.
I believe I work best in collaborative contexts; I enjoy working in multidisciplinary teams, pairing or mobbing with teammates on a problem.
- Software Engineering
- Intrinsic Web Design
- Hexagonal Architecture
- Test-Driven Development
- Web Accessibility
Senior Software Engineer at Made Tech
May 2022 — Present
Currently working as a Platform Engineer within a small team working on developing the infrastructure for a set of services hosted in AWS.
- Provisioning infrastructure, deployment pipelines and applications in AWS using Terraform and AWS Copilot
- Writing AWS Lambdas in Python to handle various aspects of the platform, such as alerting and monitoring
- Showcasing progress to stakeholders at a fortnightly cadence
- Participated in internal communities of practices and book clubs
Tech Lead at Office for National Statistics
November 2021 — April 2022
A six-month temporary promotion role where I was Tech Lead in a small, multidisciplinary team conducting a discovery into the feasibility of integrating new charting and data visualisation tools into a core content management system (CMS).
- Engaged with stakeholders across the organisation to map processes and determine functional and non-functional requirements for the service.
- Lead sprint planning and refinement sessions to ensure work was adequately prioritised and colleagues were unblocked where pertinent.
- Worked closely with developers and interaction designers to evaluate the functional and non-functional requirements of the charting libraries assessed.
- Conducted an accessibility audit of potential charting libraries and their outputs to determine whether they comply with WCAG 2.1 AA standards.
Senior Software Engineer at Office for National Statistics
November 2019 — November 2021
Working within the ONS’ Digital Publishing directorate, I was responsible for building and maintaining the core ONS website and internal publishing systems within a multidisciplinary product team.
- Developed features for the ONS website and content management systems, writing Go, Java and React. This included contributing to digital services that would facilitate public access to the Census 2021 findings.
- Coordinated and implemented a transition to micro-frontend services as delivery teams scaled in size.
- Contributed to improving the accessibility of the ONS website by implementing improvements based on audit reports.
- Participated in showcases to the wider organisation at regular cadences to communicate progress to non-technical stakeholders.
- Provided service support to the publishing team to fix any issues as and when they arose.
Frontend Developer at Get My Grades
November 2017 — November 2019
Worked within a small technical team as a frontend developer for Get My Grades, an education tech startup.
- Developed the frontend for the Get My Grades web application using Vue.js and PHP Laravel. Working closely with a designer, I focused on building accessible user interfaces.
- Provided mentoring and support to junior frontend developers.
- Software design
- Software delivery ways of working
- Web technologies
- Web accessibility
- Digital culture and technology ethics
- Social science computing